Welcome to Dr. Allison Martin and Dr. Adriana Ramirez, two general surgery residents, into the GHLT. Allie is preparing for her first trip to Rwanda. Follow her on twitter @UVA_Global_Surg and @globalsurgallie
UVA Global Surgery Initiative Director Dr. Calland is now on Twitter. Follow us at https://twitter.com/UVA_Global_Surg (@UVA_Global_Surg).
The first US faculty in the Rwanda Human Resources for Health Program arrived in Rwanda in August 2012. Dr. Ivan Crosby was our first UVA HRH faculty member and (we hope) had a fantastic experience. We know that our Rwandan colleagues were very pleased to have his expertise and wisdom for three months! Check out Dr. Crosby’s reflections on his experience and the surgical challenges by clicking this link.
We are very pleased to have several other US faculty on the ground in Rwanda as part of the UVA Global Surgery Initiative. A special welcome to the following faculty members and their families that have arrived between October and January:
- Dr. Dennis Dove – Acute care and Trauma surgeon from Amarillo, Texas
- Dr. Michael Curci – Pediatric Surgeon and former residency program director at Maine Medical Center
- Dr. Michael Kosteljanetz – Neurosurgeon from Denmark
- Dr. Thomas Daniel – Thoracic surgeon from UVA who will be teaching a lung simulation model
- Dr. Gerard Crowley – Vascular Surgeon from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- Dr. Forrest Calland – Trauma and Acute care surgeon from UVA
Charles Lewis from the Center for Telehealth at UVA visited Rwanda this past week (January 2013). Charles was hosted by Joseph Ngenzi, the IT Coordinator of E-Health systems at the Kigali Health Institute (KHI) Regional E-Health Center of Excellence. Charles and Joseph have been the key players in making our monthly UVA/Rwanda surgical education teleconferences … Continue reading
Thank you for visiting our site!
The UVA Global Surgery Initiative is a joint effort between the UVA Department of Surgery and the UVA Center for Global Health that strives to develop education, research, and relationship development across disciplines and borders in the area of global surgery.
Please check back for news, updates, and more!